Saturday 9 April 2016

Roses

I've been looking forward to buying and planting my roses for ages. Last year we drove down to David Austin's nursery (just about an hour from here) and I made notes of the ones I liked best. After lots of thought  I chose 'The Generous Gardener' a beautiful very pale pink fragrant climber, 'Francis E Lester' a rambler that resembles our native wild rose to grow against the barn wall and three of 'Lichfield Angel' a lovely rose happy in poor soil which is all we can provide in our front garden beds and with a local connection:
Named to celebrate an 8th century sculptured limestone panel, which was discovered at Lichfield Cathedral in Staffordshire during an archaeological excavation of the nave. The panel, thought to represent the Archangel Gabriel, is in remarkable condition and still bears the remnants of Saxon paint. 
David Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment